One of the commonest surgical emergencies.
Sudden appearance of signs n symptoms of appendicitis called acute appendicitis.
Appendicitis- inflammation of the appendix..a vestigial organ.
Aetiology –• Racial and dietary factors- common in white races, young males affected more often. Diet rich in meat and low in fibre precipitates the condition.
• Familial susceptibility- related to having a long retrocaecal appendix, in which blood supply diminished to thedistal portion hence precipitates appendicitis.
• Socioeconomic status- common in middle class and rich people.
• Obstructive theory- obstructiob due to faecoliths, worms, ova , cysts.
• Non-obstructive theory- due to bacteria such as e.coli , enterococci, proteus, pseudomonas etc.
• Pain- severe,colicky initially felt in umbilical region due to distension of appendix. Shifting pain of acute appendicitis present.
• Fever low grade.
• Tenderness and rebound tenderness at mc burney’s point.
• Guarding and rigidity in right iliac fossa.
• Palpation of left liac region of abdomen produces pain in the right iliac region.
• Features of generalized peritonitis present only when there is perforation.
• Tenderness in right rectal wall in rectal examination.
CT scan is the investigation of choice.
• Plain x-ray abdomen erect.
• Abdominal ultrasound.
• Emergency appendicectomy.
• Laparoscopic appendicectomy.
Complications of acute appendicitis-
• Appendicular mass.
• Appendicular abcess.
There is no prevention from this disease few steps which can help in prevention from complications from acute appendicitis are-
• Take a high fiber diet.
• Look after the symptoms earlier and consult a doctor immediately so that the condition can be prevented from being worse.